PLEASE NOTE: This document is still work in progress. At the moment it reflects the results of several community discussions, and follows roughly the release plans of reacTIVision and the related TUIO client framework. Additional notes regarding further TUIO tracker and client implementations will follow.
Consolidation of the TUIO 1.0 specification and implementations (completed)
- Release of reacTIVision 1.4 and the collection of the TUIO clients with the new TUIO client API and a new TUIO server reference implementation in C++
- The TUIO client API features a new event callback API with object references, and an alternative polling interface. The TUIO server reference implementation also defines a simple API for the generation of TUIO messages based on surface events. The API also includes a collection of classes that encapsulate TUIO objects and cursors.
- Current TUIO server and client implementations should make sure that they fully support the TUIO 2Dobj and 2Dcur profiles. The revised TUIO 1.0 specification contains additional implementation notes.
TUIO 1.1 protocol specification (completed)
- To facilitate a smooth transition towards TUIO 2.0, which will be radically different from TUIO 1.0, two selected TUIO 2.0 features have been implemented in an intermediate
TUIO 1.1 specification.
- The new TUIO 1.1 features are:
optional "source" messages, which allow the identification and multiplexing of various TUIO sources on the client side
a third standard profile /tuio/2Dblb, describing the approximate blob geometry with an oriented bounding box
TUIO 1.1 implementation (in progress)
- reacTIVision 1.5 will fully implement TUIO 1.1 and its key features (blob profile and source messages) along with an updated TUIO client collection that will also implement the according API updates.
- The next versions of Touché and SurfaceToTUIO will also implement the additional TUIO 1.1 blob profile and source message extensions.
- The TUIO server reference implementation will be updated to support the additional TUIO 1.1 messages and in addition to C++, we will provide Java and C# TUIO server reference implementations.
- The TUIO 1.1 reference servers will also introduce an alternative TUIO/TCP and TUIO/FLC mode (for AS3 clients).
- reacTIVision 1.5 and the TUIO Simulator 1.5 will be both based on the C++ and the Java TUIO 1.1 server reference implementations.
TUIO 2.0 protocol specification (in progress)
- Publication of the TUIO 2.0 specification on the community web site, and an eventually following journal article after its finalization.
TUIO 2.0 implementation
- reacTIVision 2.0 will implement TUIO 2.0, but will also support an optional legacy mode, sending TUIO 1.1 for legacy clients.
- The TUIO 2.0 client collection will support both protocol generations at the same time, enabling the new protocol features with the according TUIO 2.0 client API.